Scottish Shortbread – They are one of my favorite biscuits with their sandy texture. So far I always went for the store bought version (the red package with the kilt, basically the only one available here in Switzerland).
But I had to learn that shortbread is quick and easy to make. The classic version only contains three ingredients: flour, butter and white caster sugar in a ratio 3:2:1. That’s it. Quick and easy. And therefore it does not leave any excuses for not making it myself.
To reach a sandier texture many shortbread recipes call for ground rice – but I decided to stick with the classic recipe.
100 g white caster sugar
200 g butter
300 g flour
1) Preheat oven to 175 ºC.
2) Beat sugar and butter until fluffy. Work in the flour.
3) Roll out dough until 1 cm thick and cut into fingers.
4) Bake in the oven at 175 ºC for 15-20 minutes, until the fingers start to turn golden.
100 g weisser Zucker
200 g Butter
300 g Mehl
1) Backofen auf 175 ºC vorheizen.
2) Butter und Zucker schaumig schlagen. Mehl einarbeiten.
3) Teig ca. 1 cm dick ausrollen und in quaderfoermige fingerlange Stücke (“Finger”) schneiden.
4) Im Ofen bei 175 ºC 15 – 20 Minuten backen, bis das Shortbread beginnt Farbe zu bekommen.