The rhubarb season has finally started in the S&C kitchen. I am opening it with this rhubarb cake, baked directly on the baking tray. Quick and easy.
Did you know that – even though rhubarb is considered a vegetable in most of the world – the US categorises rhubarb as a fruit (as rhubarb was used more like a fruit then a vegetable – that’s at least the explanation on Wikipedia)?
No matter if you consider rhubarb a fruit or vegetable, this rhubarb streusel (German for “crumbles”) cake tastes well paired with raspberries or alternatively strawberries. For a pure rhubarb experience just replace the raspberries with more rhubarb.
RHUBARB RASPBERRY STREUSEL CAKE
125 g butter (cold, unsalted)
175 g flour
125 g sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract (corresponds to pulp of one vanilla bean) Cake:
750 g rhubarb
250 g raspberries (frozen or fresh, I used frozen ones)
250 g butter (room temperature, unsalted)
200 g sugar
4 eggs (M)
250 g flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract (corresponds to pulp of one vanilla bean)
1) For the streusel, cut the cold butter in cubes. Knead all ingredients lightly together. Rub the dough clumps lightly between your fingers until you have evenly sized crumbles. Refrigerate.
2) Peal the rhubarb stalks and cut in roughly 4 cm long pieces. Mix with raspberries.
3) Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 ºC.
4) Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one by one, slowly mixing them into the batter. Mix in flour, baking powder and vanilla extract.
5) Spread batter on the baking tray. Evenly spread rhubarb and raspberries on top. Spread refrigerated streusel over the fruit so that they are more or less covered. Bake at 180 ºC for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
6) Cut in pieces and serve.
Hello & welcome to Strudel & Cream! I am Alexandra and this is my creative playground where you will find visual food stories from the heart of Europe! (Food) photography, the process of preparing food and exploring new (and old) places are my daily yoga - and that is what this place is about.